Sage Health & Wellness
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon Hydrotherapy is referred to as colon irrigation, colonics, colon therapy, or high enemas. Regardless of the name, they all refer to the use of water for internal cleansing of the colon (large intestines), without the use of drugs or chemicals.
Colon Hydrotherapy is a gentle washing of the large intestine using purified water. The client lies on a table, water is run very slowly into the colon. When slight pressure builds up in the colon, the water is released. As the water is flowing out through a viewing tube, the abdominal area is thoroughly massaged. This process is repeated during the 30-50 minute long treatment.
The physical goals of each session are to hydrate the colon thus hydrating the blood and other systems of the body. This removes waste, stimulates peristalsis, rehabilitates the nerves, muscles, glands, circulatory and immune systems that form the components of the digestive system, and to re-position the intestines.
What will Colonics do for the Colon?
- Cleanse the Colon: Breaks down toxic excrement so it can no longer harm your body or inhibit assimilation and elimination. Toxins built up over a long period are gently removed in a series of treatments. Your colon can begin to co-operate again as it was intended. In this sense, a colonic is a rejuvenation treatment.
- Exercise the Colon muscles: The build-up of toxins weakens the colon and impairs its functioning. The gentle filling and emptying of the colon improves peristalsis (muscular contraction) by which the colon naturally moves material. Having Colonics is like taking your colon to the gym.
- Reshape the Colon: When problem conditions exist in the colon, they tend to alter its shape because the colon is a muscle and it will enlarge to the buildup of toxins not being released. That in turn causes more problems. The gentle action of the water coupled with massage techniques of the colon therapist, help to eliminate bulging pockets of fecal matter, and narrowed spastic constrictions finally enabling the colon to resume its natural state.
- Stimulated reflex points in the Colon: The colon is connected to every system and organ in the body by reflex points. The colonic stimulates these points thereby affecting the corresponding body parts in a beneficial way. Thus creating overall well being and health in the body.
- Hydration of the whole body: Water is absorbed into the body through the colon which increases the volume of blood. The circulation of the blood is increased, resulting in a greater bathing of the cells. This dilutes the toxins and flushes them out; relieving toxemia and uremia; and increasing elimination both through the kidneys, and the skin as well as the bowels. All this generally assists the cardiovascular and circulatory systems to be more efficient.
What are the Benefits?
- Compression of neighboring organs disappears or attenuates when volume reduces in the colon. Relaxing effect on organs above intestines such as the liver, heart, and lungs. Sensation of lightness may be experienced.
- Reduces pressure in the intra-abdominal area which improves venous return from lower extremities and pelvic zone. Relaxes pressure on the hips and lumbar column and is beneficial to their mobility. Relaxes abdominal muscles from the action of water temperature and massage that company the colonic. Increases abdominal muscle tone due to reducing intestinal residues.
- Stimulates peristaltic action of intestines restoring normal muscle tone and therefore removal of constipation. Potential to correct intestinal transit problems such as constipation and diarrhea without resorting to prescription drugs.
- Sensation of well-being due to the elimination of mucus, alimentary remainders not digested gases and toxic bacteria. Relieves inflammation and edema due to elimination of irritating substances.
- Expels parasites due to alternating water temperatures and complementary additives to colonic water such as garlic and other vermifuge (parasite killing) herbs. Decreases demineralization of body because it improves metabolism.
- Relieves gynecological disorders such as cystitis and dysmenorrhea due to reduction of a prolapsed intestine. Reduces risk of complications after surgery because it reinforces natural immunity. We can suppose colon hydrotherapy improves functions of the large intestines, lymph and nervous system because a relation exists between them in the GI tract.
- Reduces weight and slims due to activating elimination. Creates an increase in mental capacity and rejuvenation since it decreases the degenerative process, normal or accelerated, by removing toxic substances that affect biological aging.
What do I need to do to prep for a Colonic?
- Eat as many water content foods as possible prior to colonic. Examples: raw and cooked green leafy vegetables, raw vegetable drinks and whole grains. This will start moistening up the colon for better elimination.
- Try to cut down on all processed foods. Examples: white flour products, cheese, dried foods, greasy foods and sugar. These foods dehydrate the colon and make elimination tougher.
- Stop drinking liquids 1 hour before. You don't want your bladder full before a colonic,
- No diuretics prior to colonic. This would be coffee, tea or soda. This also makes your bladder full.
- No foods 2 hours before your colonic.
Will it Hurt?
No. If you do experience pain, it's because the colon is not used to working so efficiently or it's trying to push out dry, hard fecal matter. When the colon can't push fecal matter out on a daily basis with ease, it can become weak. Colonics help to increase colon muscle strength. When the colon is working, you may experience some abdominal cramping which only lasts a few minutes or less. It is best to relax and let the colon do its job. The pain will disappear once the colon becomes strong and gets rid of the old fecal matter.
Is it Safe?
Yes, we use an autoclave to sanitize the instruments.
Will a Colonic clean my small intestine?
No. There is a valve separating the small intestine from the large intestine (colon) called the Ileocecal valve. It is a one way valve, allowing stool from the small intestine to go into the large. Once it has passed through this valve into the colon it can't go back into the small intestine
How long is the large intestine (Colon)?
The large intestine is usually 5 to 6 feet long and 2 to 2-1/2" in diameter. The entire digestive system is 22 feet long from the mouth to anus.
Can I have a colonic if I am pregnant?
Please speak with your doctor.
How soon after the childbirth can I have a colonic? Can I have one while I am nursing?
Please speak with your doctor.
Do Colon cleansers work as well as Colonics?
No. They work together along with a good diet. The recommended colon cleansers have fiber which creates bulk in the colon, so that the transit time through the colon is 8 to 12 hours, instead of a slower 2 to 3 days. Fiber also carries moisture, aiding in softening up existing dry, old fecal matter in the colon. Having a Colonic can speed up the loosening and cleansing process.
Are Colonics habit-forming?
No. Having a Colonic is like going to the gym for your colon. Your colon has to do the work of pushing out the water and the loosened fecal matter. The more Colonics you have the stronger your colon can become.
What can I expect afterwards?
Clients generally report a feeling of lightness and sometimes even increased mental clarity.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is any form of congestion and is usually accompanied by dehydration. It extends to the cellular level. One bowel movement a day is a sign of constipation and incomplete elimination is a form of constipation. Symptoms are overweight, fatigue, irritability, mental confusion, bloat, gas, indigestion, lethargy, headaches, migraines, earaches, sinus drainage, allergies, cellulite, anxiety, depression, pessimism, whining, unsatisfied hunger, poor circulation.
A colon hydrotherapy session begins to hydrate the system and break up the impacted and dehydrated fecal, mucoid, and other waste material that layer the walls of the intestine. Once again, the intestines are capable of receiving and disposing of waste from the body, stopping the backup and re-absorption of toxic materials. Assimilation of nutrients improves and the liver and kidneys are relieved.
What is Auto-Intoxification?
When we do not eliminate our waste, toxins back up in our bodies and can create auto-intoxification or self-poisoning. This occurs when the colon walls become encrusted with fecal matter that has not been eliminated. This hampers the absorption of vital nutrients. Worse yet, old accumulated matter in the colon provides a breeding ground for unhealthy bacteria. Blood capillaries lining the colon wall begin to absorb toxins into the blood stream, which feeds all of our bodily functions and set the stage for serious health problems.
Will I lose Good Bacteria?
No. We only use purified water and it won't wash away good bacteria, just like taking a shower doesn't wash away the bacteria on your skin. Most people don't have the good bacteria in their colon because of stagnant, foul, old fecal matter making the colon uninhabitable for the good bacteria. Colonics aid in getting rid of the bad yeast and bacteria so the good bacteria can flourish.
How many bowel movements should I have daily?
As many times as you eat or anywhere from two to three times per day. They should be from 1-1/2 to 2" diameter and 5 to 10" in length. They should float, be light in color, and break apart when you flush. Fecal matter should not have a foul smell. You should not have to strain or push. If you have diarrhea, loose stools, or back and forth hard then loose, your colon could be out of balance. Colonics could aid in restoring balance and tone to the colon.
Who should NOT do this treatment?
Severe cardiac disease (uncontrolled hypertension or congestive heart failure), aneurysm, severe anemia, GI hemorrhage, severe hemorrhoids, severe diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, cirrhosis, intestinal fissures/fistulas, advanced pregnancy, abdominal hernia, recent colon surgery and renal insufficiency.